If you wish to amend any of the personal information that we hold about you, or update your marketing preferences, you can do so at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or clicking unsubscribe in emails.
If you have any queries about how we use your personal information, please contact email@example.com.
Information we collect
This section details the information we may collect about you. We explain why, and how, we use it in later sections.
If you decide to register or enquire about one of our products or services, we’ll ask you to provide us with some specific information, for example:
- Basic personal details – such as name, title and date of birth;
- Personal contact details – such as home address, delivery address, home phone number, mobile phone number, and email address;
- Work details – such as job title, department, company name, company address, work email address and office phone number;
- Log in details – such as username and password.
On occasion, we will ask you to voluntarily provide additional information, for example:
- Your opinion of our products and services;
- Your preferences;
- Information such as your dietary preferences and accessibility requirements when attending events, which may be considered special categories of personal data.
Information we obtain from partners and public sources
In some circumstances, we collect information about you from our partners or from publicly available websites to help us better understand our audience and enhance the relevance of our content.
Information we obtain through cookies and similar tools
If you wish to manage your cookies, please follow the instructions in the “How to manage cookies” section within our Cookies Policy.
Lawful basis for processing
We only process personal information where we have a lawful basis for doing so, such as the following:
- User consent – This is where you have given us explicit permission to process personal information for a given purpose. You have the right to withdraw this permission at any time. You can manage your preferences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or clicking unsubscribe in emails.
- Legitimate business purposes – This is where we have a legitimate interest, as a business, to process personal information. For example, where we are aware of copyright infringements on our Site, it is in our legitimate interests as a business to identify those responsible. We take due care to balance our interests against your right to privacy.
- Contractual necessity – This is where we have to process personal information to meet our contractual obligations.
- Legal obligation – This is where we have to process personal information in order to comply with the law.
How we use your personal information
We collect personal information for eight main reasons:
- To provide our service – We require some of your basic personal information so our services work as you would expect, for example, delivering newsletters to your correct address, providing access to our digital content, notifying you of changes to our services and dealing with customer services queries. We record customer calls for monitoring and training purposes.
- To improve and maintain performance – In order to provide you with the best possible user experience and value, we need to make sure that our products and services work as they should. Using personal information helps us understand how our users/customers experience our Sites and services, so we can make improvements. This includes contacting customers with market research surveys or for telephone interviews, hosting focus groups and analysing onsite data to test new and existing events, products and developments.
- To monitor compliance with our policies and terms – We monitor for breaches of our terms and conditions and copyright policies. We also monitor activity on our Sites to detect and prevent invalid or fraudulent traffic.
- To personalise our products and services – We improve your experience of our products and services by personalising parts of our Sites and apps with the information you give us and what we learn about you. This includes showing you posts you may be interested in and recommending emails you may wish to sign up to.
- To communicate product changes and offers – We want you to get the most out of our products and services, including showcasing our latest content and newsletters. We will contact you with carefully-curated offers and promotions, exclusive event invitations and feature announcements. You are able to change your preferences at any time by contacting email@example.com. We also personalise our communications for strategic purposes.
- For the purpose of advertising – We need to process your information to understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant personalised advertising. We use the information you give us and the information we collect about you to serve you with the most appropriate advertisements. You can manage your advertising settings for the Sites that carry out this activity in your account. If you do decide to turn off personalised advertisements or advertisements tailored to you, you will still see the same number of advertisements but they may be less relevant to you. You may continue to see advertisements that are targeted to you based on other non-personal information, for example, the post that you are reading.
- Recruitment – If you apply for a role via one of our Sites, we will process your information in order to facilitate the application process.
- To administer prize draws and competitions – If you enter a prize draw or competition, we will process your information in order to run the competition or administer the prize draw. For example, we will process your address information if you are a winner and we need to send your prize by post. We may be required to publish or otherwise make available your name and/or region if you are selected as a winner in a competition or prize draw.
Who we share your personal information with
We disclose personal information to facilitate the running of our business or to provide specific services you have requested. Commonly, we will disclose information to:
- Service providers – We engage service providers who help to support our business and improve our products. These service providers include, for example, fulfilment providers for delivery of our digital content and marketing; customer service agencies; hosts, organisers and sponsors of our events; organisations that host our Sites or databases; and providers of online surveys. We have contracts in place with these data processors and they can only use your personal information under our instruction.
- Social media providers – Information will be shared with social media platforms where you log in to our Sites via a social media account, or use components on our Sites provided by social media platforms.
- Other users – Our Sites are publicly accessible and anyone around the world who accesses our Sites will be able to see anything you publish, such as comments about a blog post. We encourage you to use a pseudonym when commenting on our Sites if you do not wish to be identifiable to other users.
- Other Fudge Sites – We share your information between Sites to provide our services and to better understand the relationship between our products.
How long we retain your personal information
We retain the majority of your personal information until you amend your preferences; this allows you to continue accessing our content, products and services.
If you become inactive in accessing exclusive areas of the Sites, we may delete elements of the information associated with your account to control access. We will normally warn you if your access is going to be withdrawn and give you the opportunity to retain access.
Where we don’t need to keep all of your information in full, we will obfuscate or aggregate it, for example, web activity logs and survey responses. This is to ensure that we do not retain your information for any longer than is necessary.
It is sometimes necessary for us to keep your personal information for longer periods of time, for example:
- If there is a statutory requirement to retain it;
- If we require the information for legal reasons or there is a legitimate business need for us to retain it;
- To ensure we do not contact you if you have asked us not to.
Under data protection laws, you have rights as an individual in relation to the personal data we hold about you. These rights include:
- The right to object to direct marketing;
- The right to access the personal data that we process about you;
- The right to request the deletion of your personal data;
- The right to request the rectification of your personal data
You can exercise these rights by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. In the UK, this is the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Our Sites are not intended for children under 16 years of age. We do not intentionally collect or use any information from children.
If you have a query in regards to the processing of your personal information, please contact email@example.com.
Registered Office: The Studio (First Floor), 4c Vulcan Close, Sandhurst, Berkshire, GU47 9DD
Registered Number: 09164755
This policy is effective from 14/11/2018.